Sunday, March 15, 2009

Cleared for Takeoff



I finally got cleared for KOMU. I liked Greeley's suggested changes to my story - first off, the audio problems I had were easily fixed, and the redone standup was a lot better than my original. So, I'm quite relieved since, as I understand it, we don't have to do packages for class until our KOMU reporting shifts. I might knock out a few of them over Spring Break as I'll be here in Columbia. The VO patrols sound absurdly easy - I think I'll enjoy doing them because it basically involves going out, shooting video, and coming back to the station to edit them. The picture to the right of the police officers on the bikes is kind of how I imagine the VO patrols - we'll be ON PATROL!

I also purchased items for the "reporter's briefcase". I enjoyed an exhilarating 2+ hours at Target on Saturday, roaming the aisles to find various items. I then bought a leather briefcase on Craigslist from a woman in North Columbia. Part of this shopping spree included buying a few additions to the work/journalist wardrobe. I found a few great deals at Dillards, so I'm happy with the new threads. It's VERY rare for me to spend money on myself like that (even $50 total at one store) so to be honest, I'm happy I got it over with.

-----






For my journalism reflection for this week, I really enjoyed the 60 Minutes interview with Ben Bernanke, the Federal Reserve Chief. Apparently it's the first interview of any kind with said Chief, so it was impressive for Scott Pelley to get Bernanke on camera.

I thought producers Henry Schuster and Rebecca Peterson did a great job of getting video for almost everything they referenced - be it Freddie Mac, Fannie Mae, Lehman Brothers, AIG, Bear Stearns, etc. We also saw some really cool shots of the Federal Reserve's interior, especially the machines making cash. It really looked like the most basic form of shooting in sequences and editing in the camera, but to the viewer in me, it seemed really awesome. The photog did a great job of shooting Pelley and Bernanke while walking around the Reserve - giving the two plenty of depth, showing us all the ornate artwork and masonry. I was a little surprised at how dark the interview seemed - the light was a bit odd. It could have been my TV, but the background behind Bernanke was totally red and Scott Pelley seemed out of focus on the reversal questions.

One of my favorite aspects of this story was how Bernanke is portrayed as more than just an Ivy League scholar economist. We see his hometown and his VERY humble roots in Dillon, SC. I think he has a lot more in common with the "Everyday" American than what people expect. I think one of Pelley's objectives in this story was to find out more about Bernanke and show his personal side so we can understand the difficulties his job entails. I was really impressed with this side of the story and I think Pelley did a good job of telling it.

We also saw Pelley preface his questions with phrases like "I know there are thousands of Americans thinking ____", "Everyone wants me to ask this", and "for most people". I was intrigued by how he tried to put himself in a viewer's place and really ask some tough questions - whether he was successful in getting some modicum of truth out of it, I don't know - but I really liked his approach.

No comments:

Post a Comment